Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Goodbye Humdinger‏

Oh Humdinger thou has plagued me for an entire 8 days! I love thee for thy air conditioning and the many times we have traveled 2 miles in just 2 minutes. I stand awed at your sleek gold coat and of your shiny bright engine. Oh Humdinger how great thou art but you grow close to the missionaries with your seat, doors, air conditioning, and speed but your heart is far from them. You take them away from the people on the road and street, you make them lazy and fat. Fare thee well Humdinger until we meet again. "As for me and my" companion "we will serve the Lord" and ride our bikes in 115 degrees. Fare thee well Humdinger fare thee well.

And that is the eulogy that I wrote for the car this morning as another set of missionaries took if from us. It was bitter sweet. With a heat warning coming for the next 3 days its a little scary but I'm better and feel better and look better. So we're getting back down and dirty and getting on our bikes. It's just a lot more fulfilling. It's lot easier too. That may sound weird but it's easier to travel around in the bike. You move too fast in the car. We blow through our plans in just a few hours and run out of things to do. You can't stop and talk to people as easily especially on the busier roads. As good as it has been my bike is currently in the shop. I look forward to being able to ride around again though the the next 3 days are supposed to be a nightmare! Gah! We're going to do it and prove that we're tough, prepared, and willing to do what it takes to help all the people here. They got a bit of a break from me bothering them on my bike and they feel safe to come out of their homes. Well the bat cave opens up today at 5 muahahahaha!

But really I'm excited to be back to normal. We have certainly seen a number of miracles this week with some of the people we are working with and I believe that we continue to see such. We another baptism date with a lady named Sharon Mandsfield. She is Hopi Indian. We had a way good lesson and she agreed to work towards September 25th as a goal to be baptized. We're going to get her to a baptism to see what one is like and get her moving forward! We are also teaching a lovely family from the Congo! Their names are Jerry and Sylvie and they are awesome. They have a lot of questions but they just want to be sure what they are doing is right. They love church and read the Book of Mormon, they don't know if it's true yet but they say they feel the same Spirit as when they read the Bible.

We also had a great lesson with a couple named Chance and Tara. they're supposed to be baptized on the 18th of September. They have concerns like church being 3 hours but love when we come over and are beginning to feel the Spirit strongly. Also on Wednesday I had simply one of the hardest lessons I've ever taught! We taught a lady named Evelyn who is in her 80's and has been attending the same baptist church since 1940 and has been a Sunday School teacher since she was 16. As I carefully taught every principle and threaded everything I said with a scripture from the Bible I finally came to the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. My companion didn't know what to say most of the meeting so I taught the lesson by myself. But as I recounted the experience of Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the Gospel there was not a dry eye in the house and to our surprise, Sister McKay's surprise, and probably Evelyn's surprise she accepted a Book of Mormon.

I'm all excited right now but mostly to kick it on my bike in the unbearable heat. You haven't felt anything until you've felt the southwest sun as a missionary standing on a corner trying to teach them. So good.

love, Elder Caywood












No comments:

Post a Comment