Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Heat Wave‏

Last week was a lot of firsts and a lot of other things as well. I have come to terms that I am:
1. a salty old missionary
2. a convert missionary(which rocks)
3. Getting really out of shape and over weight
4. I have a lavish selection of clothes
5. My clothes though are falling apart and are stained with pure southwestern sun
6. Don't buy me new clothes
7. I am going to burn my clothes my last week of my mission because yeah they are gross(well maybe not we'll see in 6 months but I'm definitely going to burn my one suit I wear everywhere)

Now for some things that don't involve lists, well maybe they will. I'm feeling:

1. Spunky
2. Exuberant
3. Inspired
4. Hungry

Which in turn means, you guessed it, I am slowly but surely losing my mind yahoo!!!! But besides that lovely game we just played (game being listing things that don't necessarily mean anything to me let alone you), we had a great week.

Our lessons were a little down this week and we don't have a lot of super solid investigators. We're in a bit of a finding mode which is a phrase that I hate to use but we are. It's kind of like when I first got to this area but there are some differences. One is that we do actually have people to teach. We still teach 10 investigator lessons week and over 20 lessons in total. The biggest difference is that we have complete ward support this time around. About 5 months ago we did not. And I felt that I was completely on my own for the most part. It took all my energy to get it to where it's at now but now I have help and a lot of it. My companion helps, the bishops help, the ward mission leaders help, and the members help. They are all getting excited about missionary work and it is amazing! I haven't seen this on my mission. But it's happening miracles.

Speaking of miracles let's talk about the baptism we had on Friday night. It was for Darlene. Now this is interesting one because of how we found her. I was with a kid preparing for his mission. We had set a lesson with Darlene's daughter in the parking lot of her complex while we were biking around. We went there to teach but her daughter was not home. I quickly asked if we could teach her instead to which she responded we could. That first lesson we taught we set a baptism date. Spirit was very strong. She walked to church that week. Then we brought in fellowship. Everything seem to be getting better in her life. And I had the opportunity to baptize her. It was way awesome. Great service and very spiritual. I love it!

At times on my mission, it can be hard. I don't know the scriptures as well as everyone else. I may not know all the cool little Mormon kid songs everyone else knows, but one thing is true. The Lord has called us all to the same work. Being a convert doesn't change that. The Lord can use very different people from very different walks of life to fulfill the same purpose. He has, He does, and He will continue to do so. No matter where I am or what I'm doing I can remember the declaration of Paul the apostle in his epistle to the Romans "nothing shall separate us from the love that is Christ Jesus our Lord". Gotta love the mission.

Love, Elder Caywood






No comments:

Post a Comment