Monday, April 27, 2009

Gun Shots and Halfway Houses‏



Greetings from beautiful Arizona. Man that first sentence is way cheesy. Unless I had an exotic accent then all the sudden I'd be way cool. Its been a while but I'm back at a computer. P-days are Mondays here and occasionally Tuesdays(for when we go to the temple). So my last days at the MTC were sad but excting. We said all of our goodbyes. Our zone was really sad to see us go. I've gotten emails from them saying it just hasn't been the same since we left. I'm so glad to be out of the MTC (Or the Missionary Torture Center as Elder Frisby likes to call it). It was good but I was so ready to leave.

Anyways we arrived around 10 on Tuesday. When we got to Scottsdale it was about 102 degrees and the highest it got was 104. Blech. So I went to pick up my bedding all I saw was a smallish box(small for bedding). So I opened it and found a pillow and a blanket and loads of candy. I was happy but now I didn't have any sheets and what not. But luckily the rest of it came on Saturday so now I have a nice comfy bed. Lovely! Well anyways I got to meet the mission president he's very nice and has high expectations. This is pretty no nonsense mission. No guitar allowed unfortunately. I would of loved to play on my P-day. But I have a piano I occasionaly play on so its all good.

Well we all got assigned our areas. Elder Paiz got Mesa I believe I was kind of zoning out and he was first to go. Elder Gilbert got Greasewood which is an indian reservation about 4 hours away and from what I hear some crazy stuff happens there. I can't remember where Elder Morgan went. Which leaves just 2 left from our district. Elder Bickmore and myself. I got called up and I found out I was going to Phoenix in a place called Paradise Valley. Paradise Valley is home to Phoenix's very own "The Square" which is a square mile of the cheapest living in the entire city. I have yet to see anything classier than a Burger King here. No joke. And to top it off they took the car away this week so we're in one of the biggest biking areas in the mission. That was a wake up call. I bought a bike on Wednesday and I bike several several miles a day. Elder Bickmore is in the area next to us. My trainer is Elder Yates. He's my height and really really good at basketball.

Its been a comfortable 90 something the past couple days. I'm staying at a member's home. Their names are the Bjarnsons! They're way cool. I bought my groceries the other day. I got 115 dollars a month. The members essentially feed us every night. Its been way fun but I've been so tired. That bike takes it out of me. Wednesday morning we went 8 miles on one appointment. I'm getting quite tan though. I just remembered what was bothering me. This place is like anti-Steve Nash! I love Steve Nash but everyone in this area at least doesn't appreciate his little white guy fun power.

Anyways I better elaborate on the title. I've only heard two gun shots so I don't know a lot about that. As for the halfway house we teach a guy there named Jason. He's way cool and asks a lot of good questions. We asked him to read the Book of Mormon and he said yeah. He was on a lot of drugs and he's quit all of them he leaves the halfway house in 3 weeks. We're teaching a few others here too. We taught a guy named Dagan he was waaaaaay out there. The member we took with us was pretty sure he was on meth. It was obvious that what we taught Dagan didn't stick because we saw him taking a prostitute home later that evening when we were heading home. Another guy we met was a former gang member named "Dragon" He had spent the past 17 years in maximum security prison. But he changed his ways and read the bible 6 times in the past 3 years. It was way cool but he was telling us some way weird stuff. He pointed up the street and told us he got shot at that corner. He seemed pretty legit. We talked to about 77 people this week on the street. Elder Yates says we can do better because Elder Keir and Elder Bickmore got 177 last week. But we also taught twice as much as them. We have 2 baptisms lined up already. We have a guy named Robin on the 9th and a girl named Sammy on the 16th. For the most part everything is going well.

My scriptures are slowly becoming very well marked and its getting easier to talk to people but its still way hard. Well you're probably wondering about my address. Its actually just the mission home and they forward it to me. Go figure but I thought that would happen. We're suposed to get a car in 2 weeks so we have our fingers crossed.

Elder Brandon Caywood
Arizona Mesa Mission Office
6265 N 82nd St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85250

Well I had a terrible train of thought for this email. I was having trouble focusing so I might have said the same things. Its so obvious that I'm a grennie its not even funny. Everyone knows it too. Bah... Oh well so much for trying to appear experienced. I'm trying to think of what else to write. Well people on the streets are funny. You get yelled at and told some weird things. I heard the Broncos drafted Knowshon Moreno! Such a good pick! He's going to bull over people. He's the second coming of Ladanian Tomlinson I swear it! Is the recital coming up? How's Sarah's foot will she be ready? I heard the Nuggets are awesome. I hear a lot of things. Whatevs. Dad how's your classes going? Could you get me Lindsay Bancroft's email? I forgot to write it down on paper and I wanted to send her something. I think she's on the email list because I remember putting it down. Man, you have the worst memory as a missionary no joke. PEACE OUT.

love,Elder Caywood/Cay-dub(Some guy at the MTC called me that a lot)

No comments:

Post a Comment